Monday, July 30, 2007

I don’t understand Sushi

We’re not big meat eaters. Don’t get me wrong, I love a nice juicy steak, or a mouthwatering burger or a good braai (bbq to our non-SA friends), but it’s the health thing you see - red meat, cholesterol, fats and the like!

So when we moved down to the Cape, we though we would try and eat healthier and eat more fish. And why not - the Cape is just swimming in fish (ha ha). I decided that I would now prepare 50% of our meals. I spent days on the internet looking for fish recipes and ideas and looked through dozens of cook books so that I could come up with wonderful mouth watering dishes. But whatever I did, it still tasted like fish!

Now there’s the problem - we don’t like the taste of fish! I tried yellow tail, tuna (they might be the same), bokkums, angel fish, butterfish and almost every fish we could find, and no matter what I added (and there were some fantastic herbs and spices and vegetables) there was no disguising the taste!

Now I’m sure some of you will think we’re quite mad, after all, fish is healthy, plentiful and cheap, and of course it’s going to taste of fish, but as they say, there’s no accounting for taste! So, imagine how we feel about sushi!

We don’t like fish. We don’t like raw or undercooked food. This makes sushi the worst of all combinations. Oh well, we might have no taste but at least we’re not pretentious!

No comments: